Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join
New Forums!
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Survey License Exam 1 R. Johnson, H. Stanley Johnson & Co. Hello, This is my first time on this site, just signed up as a Corresponding Member today. I am sitting for the State Specific Exam this April. I have a PLS from a Public Lands State and have just recently returned to NY after many years away. I'm getting a late start preparing for the exam and I'm looking for info that might help streamline my study. For example I noticed there is a webinar this Friday on Professional Ethics. Fifty bucks for an hour webinar seems pricey. It appears there is free info on this subject available through the State website. Anyone have any feedback on the value of this webinar? Also I'm signed up to take the LS Review in March. It's pretty close to the date of the exam and I'd like to get a jump on the material well in advance. Any insight on material to focus on would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
by M. Bender
Wednesday, February 6, 2019
Looking for PLS in the Newcomb, Tupper Lake, NY area 0 G. Hamilton, Bryant Associates, Inc. Hi:   Looking for a local Surveyor in the Newcomb, Tupper lake Area.   I need to know some information about some Park/forest roads and vehicular access up in around the Handsome Pond area.   I am planning an driving event from Saratoga to Placid next October and we want to include some passable hard pack dirt//gravel roads.   If you can provide any info it would be great.   I'm planning a reconnaissance before heavy winter sets in, coming from Boston, so want to have somewhat of an idea of what;s accessible.   Thanks:   Gary Hamilton, PLS NY, MA. RI PSC '79
by G. Hamilton, Bryant Associates, Inc.
Tuesday, November 20, 2018
What Can NYSAPLS do for us 2 K. Lesika Patricia,I didn't actually ask anything but thank you for pointing me to the Strategic Plan. Can you please share some of the major accomplishments that were made in 2016 on the forum so that members and non-members can see what has been happening? Below are some issues that may be worth working on or clarifying. I realize that many of these are ongoing complaints that pop up every few years but they are still issues that greatly effect the surveyors of NYS. • Attorneys writing legal descriptions. Legal descriptions should be written by surveyors. Most attorneys do not understand how to write a proper legal description or how to interpolate a survey. I have come across newly written legal descriptions done by attorneys that state distances such as "One Hundred and Fifty Tenths" when the survey shows the distance to be 100.50'. This is just one example but there are many more.• Attorneys Ordering Surveys on behalf of their client. An example of the problem: There have been many instances where an attorney has ordered a survey for a house closing on behalf of the seller. The survey is completed and given to the attorney but the closing fell through and the attorney will not pay for the survey because it is no longer needed by their client. In this situation you do not have much recourse on getting paid for that survey. It also seems that in many instances attorneys blame closing delays on the surveyor. When talking to surveyors they will say this is not the case. Unfortunately when an attorney says this to the client it leads the public to believe that surveyors are the hold up. These issue could be avoided by requiring the actual land owner to order the survey. • Lack of disciplinary measures for non-licensed people practicing surveying. If someone is practicing surveying without a license there seems to be no effective way to stop them. There is a process to get them to stop but it is a long drawn out investigation that ends first in a cease and desist letter. There are no fines imposed and the letter is only effective if the individual agrees to sign it. There must be a more effective and speedy way to stop this.• Foresters marking boundary lines for clearing or logging. This is a common practice that seems to border on surveying without a license. Can a determination be made on what constitutes surveying and what doesn’t? Is marking a property line surveying or is it not? • Copies of surveys being handed out. Is it legal to make a photo copy of a survey and give it to someone for a project or reference? Is a digital copy of a survey actually legal? I know it is illegal for someone to photo copy a book and give it out but it seems to be a common practice for an attorney or home owner to copy a survey and give it to whoever they like. In most cases the land owner didn’t pay for the survey because that is the responsibility of the seller to pay for it and to confuse it more, the attorney usually orders the surveys for the seller. So who owns the rights to the survey, who can hand out copies, who can use those copies, and what can you use them for legally? These are just a few of the issues that many surveyors feel should be evaluated and looked at more closely. Some of these issues may just need to be clarified in writing someplace while other may require some sort of legislation. Although many other things are obviously being done by NYSAPLS and NSPS I think real issues like the ones stated above should be worked on before some of the other planned activities on the Strategic Plan.
by K. Lesika
Friday, December 2, 2016
Let's Get Talking :) 4 A. Carpenter, NYSAPLS, Inc. Thanks for the suggestion, Kevin! We had previously advertised in several issues our magazine, on facebook and asked our directors to share with their regional members, but unfortunately it hasn't caught on. We agree - having a platform for our members to share and voice opinions is important. Seeing your message has inspired me to revisit this and recommit our efforts! Have a great day.
by A. Carpenter, NYSAPLS, Inc.
Thursday, November 17, 2016
PUBLIC RELATIONS 2 K. Slaugenhoupt I believe that NYSAPLS should be more active in Public Relations (PR) with respect to educating citizens and even some other professions on surveying in general and what we do and our purpose.One such example of an area that could benefit would be the forestry community. Recently, a forester in our area was found to be practicing surveying without a license. He was advertising on Craigslist for services including Boundary Line Staking, Property Corner Locations, and Boundary line Maintenance. He stated that these practices are commonly performed by all foresters and that there were hundreds of other foresters in NYS doing these same thing. For instance, he claims that it is common practice for a forester to find what they think is a property corner and flag and mark a boundary line for logging. In this instance, a forester is making many assumptions on the corners they find and whether or not they are in fact the actual corner. A surveyor is typically only called in when an adjoining land owner questions if timber was harvested on his property. These situations would be avoided if a surveyor was hired to mark the lines to begin with.It would benefit land owners, surveyors, and loggers if NYSAPLS would “step up” and be more proactive in educating people on the necessity for a formal survey. They could reach out to the Forestry community and other associations such as the New York Forest Owners Association, the USDA Northeastern Area State & Private Forestry Service, and any forestry schools within NYS.Another PR opportunity could be to create some more up-to-date brochures about surveying to have available at Town Halls, County Clerks Offices, Realtors Offices and any other place that the public might frequent when dealing with issues related to their property.There seems to be a general trend in misunderstanding the necessity of a survey. This is being furthered by the misunderstanding and ease of use of GIS by the public. GIS is an amazing and useful tool, but it is important to distinguish it’s capabilities and limitations. To the general public, a GIS map showing a boundary line is looked at as being the same thing as a survey. This is another area that NYSAPLS should be working to educate the public on.
by K. Lesika
Friday, October 28, 2016

NYSAPLS, Inc.
146 Washington Avenue
Land Surveyors Building
Albany, NY 12210
518-432-4046 -- (f) 518-432-4055
info@nysapls.org

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal